• Home
  • Contact Us
  • About us
  • Privacy Policy
Monday, August 17, 2026
New Citizen
  • Login
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us
No Result
View All Result
New Citizen
No Result
View All Result
Home Security

Kogi intercepts large cache of arms meant for criminal networks

by ALI KANO
June 22, 2026
in Security
0
Kogi intercepts large cache of arms meant for criminal networks
Some of the illegal arms intercepted in Kogi State

Some of the illegal arms intercepted in Kogi State

0
SHARES
5
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsappShare on Telegram

The Kogi State Government has announced the interception of a large cache of arms and ammunition allegedly meant for criminal networks operating within and around the state, describing the operation as a major breakthrough in ongoing efforts to combat insecurity.

The State Commissioner for Information and Communications, Kingsley Femi Fanwo, disclosed this in a statement issued on Monday, saying the operation was the result of effective intelligence gathering and collaboration among security agencies.

READ ALSO

NSCDC sanctions 79 personnel, arrests 12 over vandalism, illegal arms dealing

Troops arrest 5 suspected kidnappers in Yobe, recover firearms

According to him, the operation involved local security operatives under the Kogi State security architecture, the Hybrid Forces operating under the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA), and the 12 Brigade of the Nigerian Army.

Fanwo said security operatives acted on credible intelligence concerning the movement of arms and ammunition intended for criminal elements seeking to destabilise peace and security in Kogi State. Intelligence reports specifically identified a Golf 2 vehicle allegedly being used to transport the weapons.

He explained that security agencies swiftly coordinated efforts across state boundaries and, working closely with the Sokoto State Government and security agencies in the state, tracked the suspects while maintaining covert surveillance on their activities.

The Commissioner said the operation led to the arrest of three suspects in Sokoto State after they had been under surveillance for more than two weeks. He added that preliminary investigations had yielded valuable intelligence, while efforts were ongoing to apprehend other members of the alleged arms trafficking syndicate.

According to the statement, security operatives subsequently intercepted the cache of arms and ammunition intended for criminal networks in Kogi State, while the Golf 2 vehicle used for transporting the weapons was impounded in Kabba, headquarters of Kabba-Bunu Local Government Area.

Items recovered during the operation included two AK-47 rifles, several AK-47 magazines, 67 rounds of 7.62mm ammunition, two pistols, 12 rounds of pistol ammunition, and military uniforms suspected to have been intended for use by criminal elements.

Fanwo said intelligence reports indicated that the intercepted weapons were meant to replenish the stockpile of criminal groups that had suffered significant setbacks in recent weeks, particularly following the killing of a notorious bandit leader, Kachalla Battijo, on June 10, 2026, after an alleged failed attempt to kidnap students of Government Secondary School, Iluke Bunu.

He noted that the state government had anticipated possible attempts by fleeing criminals to regroup and rearm, prompting intensified intelligence gathering, expanded surveillance in strategic locations and stronger collaboration with security agencies across the country.

The Commissioner further disclosed that available intelligence suggested that criminal elements hiding in forest areas of the state had suffered major operational setbacks and were experiencing shortages of arms and ammunition following sustained security operations against them.

“The successful interception of this arms consignment demonstrates that the Kogi State Government remains ahead of criminal networks and committed to denying them the resources needed to threaten the peace and security of our people,” Fanwo said.

He commended local security forces in Kogi State, the Hybrid Forces under the Office of the National Security Adviser, the Department of State Services (DSS), and officers and men of the 12 Brigade of the Nigerian Army for what he described as their professionalism, vigilance and seamless coordination.

Fanwo also expressed appreciation to the Sokoto State Government, security agencies in Sokoto State and other stakeholders whose cooperation contributed to the success of the operation.

He praised the National Security Adviser, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, for his strategic leadership and commended President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for strengthening the capacities of sub-national governments and security institutions to protect lives and property.

The Commissioner assured residents that there was no cause for alarm, stressing that security agencies had intensified surveillance and operations across strategic locations in the state to sustain gains recorded in the fight against insecurity.

He urged citizens to remain vigilant and continue to provide timely and credible information to security agencies, emphasising that collective efforts remained crucial to preserving peace, security and prosperity in Kogi State.

Tags: illegal armsinsecurityKogi
Previous Post

Saudi agency begins 2026 food aid distribution in Nigeria

Next Post

Tinubu appoints ex-UNILAG VC, Ogundipe as NUC chairman

Related Posts

NSCDC sanctions 79 personnel, arrests 12 over vandalism, illegal arms dealing
Security

NSCDC sanctions 79 personnel, arrests 12 over vandalism, illegal arms dealing

August 5, 2026
Troops arrest 5 suspected kidnappers in Yobe, recover firearms
Security

Troops arrest 5 suspected kidnappers in Yobe, recover firearms

July 24, 2026
Nigerian Army clears man earlier reported as terror suspect
Security

Nigerian Army clears man earlier reported as terror suspect

July 23, 2026
Tinubu approves expansion of Nigerian Army to 12 Divisions, 28,000 personnel recruitment
Security

Tinubu approves expansion of Nigerian Army to 12 Divisions, 28,000 personnel recruitment

July 23, 2026
Next Post
Tinubu appoints ex-UNILAG VC, Ogundipe as NUC chairman

Tinubu appoints ex-UNILAG VC, Ogundipe as NUC chairman

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • Information Minister mourns Garkuwan Kontagora, Ibrahim Wali
  • Tinubu: Adeleke’s victory assurance democracy will flourish in Nigeria
  • ANA set to kick off 45th International Convention October 29 in Abuja
  • Milo, Ahmed Musa launch U-13 tournament in Kano to discover grassroots talents
  • FG to strengthen security coordination for peace, development — Idris

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Recent Posts

  • Information Minister mourns Garkuwan Kontagora, Ibrahim Wali
  • Tinubu: Adeleke’s victory assurance democracy will flourish in Nigeria
  • ANA set to kick off 45th International Convention October 29 in Abuja
  • Milo, Ahmed Musa launch U-13 tournament in Kano to discover grassroots talents

Quick Links

  • Home
  • Contact Us
  • About us
  • Privacy Policy
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
error: Content is protected !!