• Home
  • Contact Us
  • About us
  • Privacy Policy
Friday, August 21, 2026
New Citizen
  • Login
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us
No Result
View All Result
New Citizen
No Result
View All Result
Home Nation

Buhari approves $8.5m to evacuate 5,000 Nigerians from Ukraine

by ISMAILA CHAFE
March 2, 2022
in Nation
0
Hajiya Sadiya Umar Farouq and Amb. Zubairu Dada
Hajiya Sadiya Umar Farouq and Amb. Zubairu Dada

Hajiya Sadiya Umar Farouq and Amb. Zubairu Dada

0
SHARES
3
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsappShare on Telegram

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved $8.5 million for immediate evacuation of about 5,000 Nigerians caught in Russia, Ukraine war.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that majority of the affected Nigerian citizens are currently taking refuge in Poland, Romania, Hungary and Slovakia.

READ ALSO

TETFund investment will unlock North Central’s economic potential — Idris

Bago unveils N100m hospital equipment to boost healthcare delivery in Niger

The Minister of State for Foreign Affairs of Nigeria, Zubairu Dada, alongside the Humanitarian Minister, Hajiya Sadiya Umar Farouq, made this known to State House correspondents at the end of the virtual meeting of the Federal Executive Council (FEC).

The meeting was presided over by Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo at the Council Chamber of the Presidential Villa, Abuja, on Wednesday.

Dada disclosed that the approval came after a joint memo presented to the council by both the ministries of Foreign Affairs and Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development.

He stated that Air Peace and Max Air airlines had been contracted to provide three aircrafts and run as many shifts as possible to facilitate the evacuation.

The minister said those to be evacuated include 940 from Romania, 150 from Slovakia and 350 from Poland who had registered for evacuation.

On the approved amount, Dada said: “The Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs wrote a memo to the president seeking for funding to enable us conduct this exercise.

”The memo was in the tune of $8.5 million which Mr. President has graciously approved.

”That provision entails arrangement to evacuate not less than 5,000 Nigerians.

“Whatever happens, you can rest assured we are going to run any number of shifts that it will be involved.

”Don’t forget, it will also involve taking care of those Nigerians that may decide not to come back.

”It also includes some assistance for the feeding that may have been done by the missions under whatever arrangements. Even the missions themselves are also in dire situations.

”So, it’s a whole gambit of activities that are involved.”

The minister confirmed that the amount would be released immediately to enable the operations commence today (Wednesday).

On students trapped in Ukrainian cities now in the hands of Russians, Dada said: “We want to believe the Russian armed forces will obey the rules of engagement.

”They know the rules about civilians that are caught up in situations such as this. We want to assume they will respect international laws and ensure that no harm comes to them.

“Don’t forget that even our missions in Ukraine has had to be evacuated.

”So if for any reason any Nigerian is left behind, we are very prayerful, we are hopeful that no harm shall come to them once, of course, they are in some shelters or whatever place they are hiding.

“Don’t forget we had also summoned both the Russian and Ukrainian ambassadors to our ministry, and we did emphasize the need for their troops to ensure that they do not do anything that will harm the lives of innocent citizens.

“We have seen video clips making the rounds about the alleged treatments that had been meted out to black people who were on queues and in buses and all that.

”All these we have brought to the attention of the ambassadors and we have expressed our displeasure at this development and demanded that they do something about this.” (NAN)

 

 

 

 

Tags: Air Peaceblack peopleDisaster Management and Social DevelopmentevacuationFederal Executive CouncilMax AirMinister of State for Foreign Affairs of NigeriaMinistry Humanitarian AffairsMinisty of Foreign AffairsPresident Muhammadu BuhariPresidential Villa AbujaRussiaSadiya Umar FarouqUkraineYemi OsinbajoZubairu Dada
Previous Post

ASUU strike will soon be truncated — Ngige

Next Post

UBEC, COREN partner on project execution

Related Posts

TETFund investment will unlock North Central’s economic potential — Idris
Education

TETFund investment will unlock North Central’s economic potential — Idris

August 20, 2026
Bago unveils N100m hospital equipment to boost healthcare delivery in Niger
Health

Bago unveils N100m hospital equipment to boost healthcare delivery in Niger

August 19, 2026
EFCC investigates suspect as Customs intercepts $73,000, £15,957, 827,800 Saudi Riyals at Kano Airport
Nation

EFCC investigates suspect as Customs intercepts $73,000, £15,957, 827,800 Saudi Riyals at Kano Airport

August 17, 2026
Bago celebrates IBB at 85, hails his contributions to Nigeria
Nation

Bago celebrates IBB at 85, hails his contributions to Nigeria

August 17, 2026
Next Post
Dr Hamid Bobboyi, Executive Secretary of UBEC,

UBEC, COREN partner on project execution

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • TETFund investment will unlock North Central’s economic potential — Idris
  • Bago unveils N100m hospital equipment to boost healthcare delivery in Niger
  • United Nigeria Airlines pledges N20m to fund Chinua Achebe Prize for Fiction for 10 years
  • EFCC investigates suspect as Customs intercepts $73,000, £15,957, 827,800 Saudi Riyals at Kano Airport
  • SON, DSS strengthen collaboration to tackle substandard products in Kaduna

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Recent Posts

  • TETFund investment will unlock North Central’s economic potential — Idris
  • Bago unveils N100m hospital equipment to boost healthcare delivery in Niger
  • United Nigeria Airlines pledges N20m to fund Chinua Achebe Prize for Fiction for 10 years
  • EFCC investigates suspect as Customs intercepts $73,000, £15,957, 827,800 Saudi Riyals at Kano Airport

Quick Links

  • Home
  • Contact Us
  • About us
  • Privacy Policy
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
error: Content is protected !!