• Home
  • Contact Us
  • About us
  • Privacy Policy
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
New Citizen
  • Login
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us
No Result
View All Result
New Citizen
No Result
View All Result
Home Nation

Court adjourns Yahaya Bello’s arraignment to June 27

by New Citizen
June 13, 2024
in Nation
0
Court adjourns Yahaya Bello’s arraignment to June 27
Yahaya Bello

Yahaya Bello

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsappShare on Telegram

A Federal High Court in Abuja has postponed the arraignment of former Kogi Governor Alhaji Yahaya Bello to June 27.

Justice Emeka Nwite set the new date after the defense counsel, Adeola Adedipe, SAN, informed the court that the EFCC’s lead counsel, Kemi Pinhero, SAN, had previously indicated that today’s session was not feasible.

READ ALSO

EFCC investigates suspect as Customs intercepts $73,000, £15,957, 827,800 Saudi Riyals at Kano Airport

Bago celebrates IBB at 85, hails his contributions to Nigeria

When the case was called, Adedipe, attending court for another matter, was surprised to see Oyedepo present, despite an earlier agreement that junior lawyers would reschedule the arraignment on behalf of the EFCC lead counsel, Mr. Pinhero.

Adedipe noted a communication lapse between the anti-graft’s lead counsel, Pinhero, and Oyedepo.

He stated that Pinhero, through a junior lawyer who appeared in court with Oyedepo, had requested that the hearing be postponed to June 27.

He said: “And as senior counsel, it was best agreed by way of convenient for another date.

“It was agreed administratively that junior lawyers be sent to court today to formally take a date as agreed by parties for June 27.

“I personally also approached the registry to confirm this information and it was confirmed to me. That was why I told the court that my appearance today was for another matter.

“What the prosecution has done this morning is an ambush to bring the defendant once again to the realms of social media.”

Adedipe emphasized that the former governor was prepared to appear in court today, but the EFCC’s request necessitated the adjournment.

“Under 266 of ACJA, there are instances when defendants don’t need to come and this is one of them.

“We came here to pick a date. Of what use will the defendant coming here be? It is the prosecuting counsel that approached us, we did not approach them. We have nothing to hide,” Adedipe said.

Oyedepo, however, contested Adedipe’s claims, stating he was unaware of any such meeting between their lead counsel and the defense.

Senior lawyer Simon Lough, present for another matter, intervened to suggest that senior counsels should avoid arguing over a straightforward issue. He recommended setting a new date as proposed by Adedipe and suggested the court inquire about the situation from the prosecution lead counsel then.

Justice Nwite then adjourned the case to June 27, following an agreement from both counsels, with an assurance that the defendant would appear on the next scheduled date.

Tags: arraignmentcourtEFCCJune 27Yahaya Bello
Previous Post

Police arrest man with 8 human skulls in Ondo

Next Post

FCT Police arrest 6 suspects for selling registered SIM cards to criminals

Related Posts

EFCC investigates suspect as Customs intercepts $73,000, £15,957, 827,800 Saudi Riyals at Kano Airport
Nation

EFCC investigates suspect as Customs intercepts $73,000, £15,957, 827,800 Saudi Riyals at Kano Airport

August 17, 2026
Bago celebrates IBB at 85, hails his contributions to Nigeria
Nation

Bago celebrates IBB at 85, hails his contributions to Nigeria

August 17, 2026
Nation

Information Minister mourns Garkuwan Kontagora, Ibrahim Wali

August 16, 2026
FG to strengthen security coordination for peace, development — Idris
Nation

FG to strengthen security coordination for peace, development — Idris

August 14, 2026
Next Post
FCT Police arrest 6 suspects for selling registered SIM cards to criminals

FCT Police arrest 6 suspects for selling registered SIM cards to criminals

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • United Nigeria Airlines pledges N20m to fund Chinua Achebe Prize for Fiction for 10 years
  • EFCC investigates suspect as Customs intercepts $73,000, £15,957, 827,800 Saudi Riyals at Kano Airport
  • SON, DSS strengthen collaboration to tackle substandard products in Kaduna
  • Bago celebrates IBB at 85, hails his contributions to Nigeria
  • Information Minister mourns Garkuwan Kontagora, Ibrahim Wali

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Recent Posts

  • United Nigeria Airlines pledges N20m to fund Chinua Achebe Prize for Fiction for 10 years
  • EFCC investigates suspect as Customs intercepts $73,000, £15,957, 827,800 Saudi Riyals at Kano Airport
  • SON, DSS strengthen collaboration to tackle substandard products in Kaduna
  • Bago celebrates IBB at 85, hails his contributions to Nigeria

Quick Links

  • Home
  • Contact Us
  • About us
  • Privacy Policy
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
error: Content is protected !!