• Home
  • Contact Us
  • About us
  • Privacy Policy
Friday, August 21, 2026
New Citizen
  • Login
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us
No Result
View All Result
New Citizen
No Result
View All Result
Home Nation

ECOWAS’ hand of friendship still open to Niger, Mali, Burkina Faso — Tinubu

by New Citizen
August 10, 2024
in Nation
0
ECOWAS’ hand of friendship still open to Niger, Mali, Burkina Faso — Tinubu
0
SHARES
1
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsappShare on Telegram

President Bola Tinubu says ECOWAS will continue to persuade the military leaders of Niger, Mali, and Burkina Faso to return their nations to the fold.

Tinubu, who is the Chairman of the ECOWAS Authority of Heads of State and Government, reaffirmed this position at a meeting with ECOWAS Chiefs of Defence Staff on Friday in Abuja.

READ ALSO

TETFund investment will unlock North Central’s economic potential — Idris

Bago unveils N100m hospital equipment to boost healthcare delivery in Niger

”It is in our hearts to make sure that security is enhanced and that constitutional government is defended and promoted in our region.

”It has been a challenging tenure for me since three members indicated their exit. We will work hard to persuade them to return, whichever way.

”No one man is smarter than the group of heads that is here. We will do everything to offer a hand of friendship to them and give them reasons to come back to us,” the President said.

The ECOWAS Chairman commended the defence chiefs for their commitment to regional stability and protection of constitutional governance.

”The solution to terrorism and other challenges lies in our hands. We have to do it together. The ECOWAS standby force must be ready. We will continue to invest in this, as well as in the economic prosperity and opportunities across our region,” President Tinubu said.

In his remarks, General Christopher Musa, the Chairman ECOWAS Chief of Defence Staff, informed the President that the defence chiefs had agreed that challenges in the region, such as insurgency and unconstitutional changes in government, must be addressed collectively.

According to him, discussions at the meeting also focused on enhancing the capacity of ECOWAS military component, including the proposed standby force.

He announced that a decision had been made to deploy 1,200 troops to Sierra Leone, with countries making pledges to support this effort.

”We are aware that the ECOWAS ministers of finance will meet to discuss the issue of funding, which is another very critical aspect. We also looked at the issue of logistics,” he said.

Highlighting the balance between military efforts and the political components of good governance, peace and security as essential for achieving long-term stability, General Musa pledged the commitment of the defence chiefs to work in unison to ensure the security and safety of the West African sub-region.

Tags: Burkina FasoECOWASMaliNigerTinubu
Previous Post

Tinubu receives patriot group, says economy a topmost priority

Next Post

Protests: Youths present charter of demands to Plateau govt

Related Posts

TETFund investment will unlock North Central’s economic potential — Idris
Education

TETFund investment will unlock North Central’s economic potential — Idris

August 20, 2026
Bago unveils N100m hospital equipment to boost healthcare delivery in Niger
Health

Bago unveils N100m hospital equipment to boost healthcare delivery in Niger

August 19, 2026
EFCC investigates suspect as Customs intercepts $73,000, £15,957, 827,800 Saudi Riyals at Kano Airport
Nation

EFCC investigates suspect as Customs intercepts $73,000, £15,957, 827,800 Saudi Riyals at Kano Airport

August 17, 2026
Bago celebrates IBB at 85, hails his contributions to Nigeria
Nation

Bago celebrates IBB at 85, hails his contributions to Nigeria

August 17, 2026
Next Post
Protests: Youths present charter of demands to Plateau govt

Protests: Youths present charter of demands to Plateau govt

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • Awele Ilusanmi Short Story Competition opens September 1
  • TETFund investment will unlock North Central’s economic potential — Idris
  • Bago unveils N100m hospital equipment to boost healthcare delivery in Niger
  • United Nigeria Airlines pledges N20m to fund Chinua Achebe Prize for Fiction for 10 years
  • EFCC investigates suspect as Customs intercepts $73,000, £15,957, 827,800 Saudi Riyals at Kano Airport

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Recent Posts

  • Awele Ilusanmi Short Story Competition opens September 1
  • TETFund investment will unlock North Central’s economic potential — Idris
  • Bago unveils N100m hospital equipment to boost healthcare delivery in Niger
  • United Nigeria Airlines pledges N20m to fund Chinua Achebe Prize for Fiction for 10 years

Quick Links

  • Home
  • Contact Us
  • About us
  • Privacy Policy
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
error: Content is protected !!