• Home
  • Contact Us
  • About us
  • Privacy Policy
Saturday, August 22, 2026
New Citizen
  • Login
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us
No Result
View All Result
New Citizen
No Result
View All Result
Home Nation

Humanitarian Affairs minister mourns victims of Lagos building collapse

by NEW CITIZEN
May 2, 2022
in Nation
0
Rescue workers at the scene of the building collapse at Ebute-Metta, Lagos
Rescue workers at the scene of the building collapse at Ebute-Metta, Lagos

Rescue workers at the scene of the building collapse at Ebute-Metta, Lagos

0
SHARES
2
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsappShare on Telegram

Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Hajiya Sadiya Umar Farouq, has sympathised with the Lagos State government and families of victims who lost their lives in a building which collapsed on Sunday night on Ibadan Street, Ebute Metta, Lagos.

Reports say the collapsed 3-storey building had been marked for demolition after it showed distress signs but the occupants remained in the structure.

READ ALSO

Fresh fake agency scandal: Tinubu orders arrest of Nwabueze, suspends three perm secs

TETFund investment will unlock North Central’s economic potential — Idris

Officials of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), who are currently involved in an ongoing joint rescue operation with the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency and the Police, have since evacuated the 23 survivors while 8 persons reportedly died in the collapsed building.

The emergency response operatives are continuing the search and rescue operation to rescue other tenants trapped in the building.

A statement issued by the minister’s Special Assistant on Media, Nneka Ikem Anibeze, said Hajiya Sadiya decried the spate of unavoidable disasters in the country and called on concerned authorities to work assiduously towards risk and disaster reduction.

Rescue workers searching for survivors at the site of the building collapse
Rescue workers searching for survivors at the site of the building collapse

The minister said: “This is a sad Eid el-Fitr celebration with the collapse of a three-storey building in Lagos. I commiserate with the government and people of Lagos State over this tragedy.

“My prayers go to the families of those who have lost their lives in this collapsed building and rescued victims who were injured in the incident.

“As soon as the news of the building collapse on Ibadan Street, Ebute Metta, Lagos, broke, the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) was activated to respond along with other relevant disaster risk first responders. Unfortunately, many people were trapped in the building and many lives were lost.

“It is also important that those in charge of ensuring the construction of standard buildings in the country ensure that the highest standards are met to avoid these tragedies”.

Tags: building collapseEid el-FitremergencyFire ServiceLagosMinistry of Humanitarian AffairsNEMANneka Ikem AnibezepoliceSadiya Umar Farouq
Previous Post

Eid el-Fitr: Sani Bello congratulates Muslims

Next Post

Buhari meets APC presidential aspirant, Bola Tinubu at Aso Villa

Related Posts

Fresh fake agency scandal: Tinubu orders arrest of Nwabueze, suspends three perm secs
Nation

Fresh fake agency scandal: Tinubu orders arrest of Nwabueze, suspends three perm secs

August 21, 2026
TETFund investment will unlock North Central’s economic potential — Idris
Education

TETFund investment will unlock North Central’s economic potential — Idris

August 20, 2026
EFCC arraigns Maryam Shehu, Abubakar Abdulhamad over alleged false information
Nation

EFCC arraigns Maryam Shehu, Abubakar Abdulhamad over alleged false information

August 20, 2026
Bago unveils N100m hospital equipment to boost healthcare delivery in Niger
Health

Bago unveils N100m hospital equipment to boost healthcare delivery in Niger

August 19, 2026
Next Post
President Buhari meets Chief Bola Tinubu at the Presidential Villa (Photo: Sunday Aghaeze)

Buhari meets APC presidential aspirant, Bola Tinubu at Aso Villa

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • APC constitutes Presidential Campaign Council, names Yari DG, Uzodimma secretary
  • Fresh fake agency scandal: Tinubu orders arrest of Nwabueze, suspends three perm secs
  • Awele Ilusanmi Short Story Competition opens September 1
  • TETFund investment will unlock North Central’s economic potential — Idris
  • EFCC arraigns Maryam Shehu, Abubakar Abdulhamad over alleged false information

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Recent Posts

  • APC constitutes Presidential Campaign Council, names Yari DG, Uzodimma secretary
  • Fresh fake agency scandal: Tinubu orders arrest of Nwabueze, suspends three perm secs
  • Awele Ilusanmi Short Story Competition opens September 1
  • TETFund investment will unlock North Central’s economic potential — Idris

Quick Links

  • Home
  • Contact Us
  • About us
  • Privacy Policy
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
error: Content is protected !!