• Home
  • Contact Us
  • About us
  • Privacy Policy
Sunday, August 23, 2026
New Citizen
  • Login
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us
No Result
View All Result
New Citizen
No Result
View All Result
Home Nation

Makinde blames illegal miners for Ibadan explosion that killed two, injured 77

by NEW CITIZEN
January 17, 2024
in Nation
0
Makinde blames illegal miners for Ibadan explosion that killed two, injured 77
The scene of the devastating explosion in Ibadan

The scene of the devastating explosion in Ibadan

0
SHARES
4
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsappShare on Telegram
The scene of the devastating explosion in Ibadan

Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State has said that the blast that killed two persons an 77 others in Ibadan, the state capital, was caused by illegal miners.

Speaking during a visit to the scene of the explosion on Tuesday, the governor told journalists: “We visited the scene of the explosion which occurred at about 7.44 p.m. yesterday, 16 January 2024, in Bodija, Ibadan.

READ ALSO

Fresh fake agency scandal: Tinubu orders arrest of Nwabueze, suspends three perm secs

TETFund investment will unlock North Central’s economic potential — Idris

“This unfortunate incident resulted in death and injury to residents in the vicinity and also affected properties. We have already deployed first responders and all relevant agencies within Oyo State to carry out comprehensive search and rescue operations. These operations will continue throughout the night.

“Earth moving equipment, ambulances, emergency lights, and security were deployed to the scene of the incident. The wounded and injured are being treated and moved to public and private hospitals within Ibadan. Medical personnel are on standby at these hospitals to provide all needed assistance to the injured. We have visited UCH to see some of those injured during the incident.

“In total, we have 77 injured victims so far, most of whom were treated and discharged and 2 fatalities. May their souls rest in peace and may God give their loved ones the fortitude to bear this irreparable loss.

“I have directed that the medical bills of all victims be covered by the government. We will also be providing temporary accommodation for those whose houses were affected and ensuring that they are supported to rebuild their lives.

‘Illegal miners’

The governor ascribed the cause of the explosion to illegal miners operating in the area.

He said: “Preliminary investigations by the security agencies revealed that illegal miners occupying one of the houses in Bodija had stored explosive devices there which caused the blast. The investigations are ongoing. All those found culpable for this will be brought to book.

“I urge all residents to please call 615 for any emergencies they may be experiencing at this time and to remain calm and stay away from the immediate scene of the incident to allow rescue operations to be carried out without interference.”

Makinde thanked the first responders and security agencies who rushed to the scene in order to help save lives, saying, “We are grateful to the first responders, security personnel and all those who are at the scene to assist with the rescue operations as well as the medical personnel taking care of the injured.

“Please say a prayer for those who have been affected by this disaster as we continue with the rescue operations.”

Many houses were damaged in the explosion, some several kilometres from where the explosion occurred.

Tags: deathexplosionIbadanillegal minersOyoSeyi Makinde
Previous Post

Kidnappings for ransom an increasing threat in northern Cameroon – ADF

Next Post

Fire guts Panteka market in Kaduna

Related Posts

Fresh fake agency scandal: Tinubu orders arrest of Nwabueze, suspends three perm secs
Nation

Fresh fake agency scandal: Tinubu orders arrest of Nwabueze, suspends three perm secs

August 21, 2026
TETFund investment will unlock North Central’s economic potential — Idris
Education

TETFund investment will unlock North Central’s economic potential — Idris

August 20, 2026
EFCC arraigns Maryam Shehu, Abubakar Abdulhamad over alleged false information
Nation

EFCC arraigns Maryam Shehu, Abubakar Abdulhamad over alleged false information

August 20, 2026
Bago unveils N100m hospital equipment to boost healthcare delivery in Niger
Health

Bago unveils N100m hospital equipment to boost healthcare delivery in Niger

August 19, 2026
Next Post
Fire guts Panteka market in Kaduna

Fire guts Panteka market in Kaduna

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • Police ‌‌confirm abduction of worshippers in Niger
  • APC constitutes Presidential Campaign Council, names Yari DG, Uzodimma secretary
  • Fresh fake agency scandal: Tinubu orders arrest of Nwabueze, suspends three perm secs
  • Awele Ilusanmi Short Story Competition opens September 1
  • TETFund investment will unlock North Central’s economic potential — Idris

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Recent Posts

  • Police ‌‌confirm abduction of worshippers in Niger
  • APC constitutes Presidential Campaign Council, names Yari DG, Uzodimma secretary
  • Fresh fake agency scandal: Tinubu orders arrest of Nwabueze, suspends three perm secs
  • Awele Ilusanmi Short Story Competition opens September 1

Quick Links

  • Home
  • Contact Us
  • About us
  • Privacy Policy
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
error: Content is protected !!