• Home
  • Contact Us
  • About us
  • Privacy Policy
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
New Citizen
  • Login
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us
No Result
View All Result
New Citizen
No Result
View All Result
Home Nation

Many injured as protest breaks out over use of Hijab in Kwara school

by AGENCY
February 3, 2022
in Nation
0
Protesters near the school at Ijagbo
Protesters near the school at Ijagbo

Protesters near the school at Ijagbo

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsappShare on Telegram

A number of persons on Thursday sustained various degrees of injuries as protest over the use of Hijab thickened in Oyun Baptist High School, Ijagbo, in Oyun Local Government Area of Kwara State.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that a man in his early 20s was seen being rushed to a nearby hospital after he was reportedly shot at.

READ ALSO

NNPC probe: EFCC secures final forfeiture of Abdulsalam Kachallah’s private jet

Nigeria recommits to constitutional rights, freedom of religious belief

NAN recalls that the use of Hijab had generated controversy in some missionary schools in the state over the past few months.

Some Muslim parents and their wards were seen on some major streets of Ilorin on Wednesday protesting against the management of Oyun Baptist High School for turning back some students for wearing Hijab.

A government delegation, led by the Commissioner for Education, Hajia Sa’adatu Kawu, had twice visited the school to resolve the matter.

Another delegation led by the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Mr Mohammed Saifudeen, also visited the town for the same reason on Thursday.

Fracas, however, erupted on Thursday when some Muslim parents stormed the school premises to protest the rejection of their wards and members by the school.

Eye witnesses told NAN that the peaceful protest later degenerated into violence when an unidentified man rushed to the school to inform other protesters of a machete cut.

This triggered an angry reaction from the Muslim protesting parents as they looked around for various weapons to defend themselves, but the police swiftly dispatched them.

The police fired warning shots into the air and also use teargas to dispatch the protesters in order to control the situation as unidentified persons from inside the Oyun Baptist High School, were seen throwing missiles at those outside the premises.

Normalcy was, however, restored by a combined team of police and Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC).

Confirming the development, the Public Relations Officer of the Kwara Police Command, SP Ajayi Okasanmi, said security personnel had been deployed to the scene to restore peace.

Okasanmi told NAN that normalcy has returned to the school and that security operatives would remain there until the area was safe for the residents. (NAN)

 

 

 

 

Previous Post

Yahoo Plus: The ubiquitous new social disorder

Next Post

Hepatitis: Group donates N40m drugs to Taraba govt

Related Posts

NNPC probe: EFCC secures final forfeiture of Abdulsalam Kachallah’s private jet
Nation

NNPC probe: EFCC secures final forfeiture of Abdulsalam Kachallah’s private jet

May 18, 2026
Nigeria recommits to constitutional rights, freedom of religious belief
Nation

Nigeria recommits to constitutional rights, freedom of religious belief

May 18, 2026
Information Minister commends compendium project showcasing Nigeria’s vast economic, tourism potentials
Nation

Information Minister commends compendium project showcasing Nigeria’s vast economic, tourism potentials

May 12, 2026
Nation

May 8, 2026
Next Post
Governor Darius Dickson Ishaku with the President of Hepatitis Alliance Worldwide, Prince Danjuma Adda, with other members of the group during the visit at the Government House, Jalingo

Hepatitis: Group donates N40m drugs to Taraba govt

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • NNPC probe: EFCC secures final forfeiture of Abdulsalam Kachallah’s private jet
  • Nigeria recommits to constitutional rights, freedom of religious belief
  • NPA, ANA presidents emerge Nigeria Book Fair Trust chairman, vice
  • Tinubu hails elimination of ISIS leader, Al-Manuki in Nigeria, US joint operation
  • Deficits, Debt and Economic Literacy: A Response to Nigeria’s Fiscal Critics

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Recent Posts

  • NNPC probe: EFCC secures final forfeiture of Abdulsalam Kachallah’s private jet
  • Nigeria recommits to constitutional rights, freedom of religious belief
  • NPA, ANA presidents emerge Nigeria Book Fair Trust chairman, vice
  • Tinubu hails elimination of ISIS leader, Al-Manuki in Nigeria, US joint operation

Quick Links

  • Home
  • Contact Us
  • About us
  • Privacy Policy
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
error: Content is protected !!