• Home
  • Contact Us
  • About us
  • Privacy Policy
Monday, August 17, 2026
New Citizen
  • Login
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us
No Result
View All Result
New Citizen
No Result
View All Result
Home Nation

NLC Strike: FG appeals for 2 weeks to finalise work on demands

by JOAN NWAGWU
September 4, 2023
in Nation
0
NLC Strike: FG appeals for 2 weeks to finalise work on demands
0
SHARES
6
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsappShare on Telegram

The Federal Government has appealed for a period of two weeks to finalise work on organised labour’s demands.

Mr Simon Lalong said this while addressing newsmen at end of a closed door meeting with the Trade Union Congress(TUC) on Monday in Abuja.

READ ALSO

Information Minister mourns Garkuwan Kontagora, Ibrahim Wali

FG to strengthen security coordination for peace, development — Idris

Lalong said the meeting was called to avert the proposed nationwide warning strike by the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC).

It would be recall that the NLC had said that it would embark on a two-day nationwide warning strike from Sept. 5 to Sept. 6 over hardship faced the masses due to the removal of fuel subsidy.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the NLC leaders were absent at the meeting called by the minister.

The Federal Government had earlier appealed to NLC to suspend proposed 2-days warning nationwide strike.

Also, the TUC in a communique had said the need to embark on strike had not arisen but would allow conversation with government to address grey areas.

According to Lalong, government is going to address those issues within the period of two weeks and come back for further discussion.

“Some of the issues we discussed are those that are very urgent. There are some that will require a long span of time. This was the basis of our discussion.

“We agreed that there should be no strike within the two-week period while we are doing our deliberations and working towards realising some of these objectives,” he said.

Also, Mr Festus Osifo, the President of TUC, said some of the issues requiring urgent attention included implementation of palliatives and wage award.

He said others are tax exemptions and allowances to public sector workers; modalities for N70 billion Small and Medium Enterprises and RTEAN crisis.

“In the palliatives that were rolled out, we have not seen anything put in place for federal workers.

“We need a wage award. The palliatives rolled out by the government are not far-reaching. We believe that the government can do much more,” he said.

Osifo also said that the TUC leadership would continue to engage with the federal government to ensure that its demands are addressed. (NAN)

Previous Post

Bandits strike in Kaduna Mosque, kill 7 worshippers – Police

Next Post

FG appeals to NLC to suspend proposed 2-day warning strike

Related Posts

Nation

Information Minister mourns Garkuwan Kontagora, Ibrahim Wali

August 16, 2026
FG to strengthen security coordination for peace, development — Idris
Nation

FG to strengthen security coordination for peace, development — Idris

August 14, 2026
Burkina Faso thrash Flying Eagles 4-1, dash Nigeria’s U-20 World Cup hopes
Nation

Burkina Faso thrash Flying Eagles 4-1, dash Nigeria’s U-20 World Cup hopes

August 9, 2026
Tinubu urges religious scholars to use their voices to fight terrorism
Nation

Tinubu urges religious scholars to use their voices to fight terrorism

August 9, 2026
Next Post

FG appeals to NLC to suspend proposed 2-day warning strike

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • Information Minister mourns Garkuwan Kontagora, Ibrahim Wali
  • Tinubu: Adeleke’s victory assurance democracy will flourish in Nigeria
  • ANA set to kick off 45th International Convention October 29 in Abuja
  • Milo, Ahmed Musa launch U-13 tournament in Kano to discover grassroots talents
  • FG to strengthen security coordination for peace, development — Idris

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Recent Posts

  • Information Minister mourns Garkuwan Kontagora, Ibrahim Wali
  • Tinubu: Adeleke’s victory assurance democracy will flourish in Nigeria
  • ANA set to kick off 45th International Convention October 29 in Abuja
  • Milo, Ahmed Musa launch U-13 tournament in Kano to discover grassroots talents

Quick Links

  • Home
  • Contact Us
  • About us
  • Privacy Policy
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
error: Content is protected !!