The Chairman of the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN) in Benue State, Ardo Risku Muhammad, has been killed alongside an associate in an ambush by unidentified gunmen in Otukpo Local Government Area of the state.
The attack occurred at about 2 p.m. on Friday near the Okudu community as the victims were returning from a peace and security meeting held in neighbouring Ohimini Local Government Area.
The deceased was travelling with Yakubu Isah after attending the meeting, which was reportedly convened by the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) in Idekpa, Ohimini, when armed assailants attacked their vehicle and opened fire, killing both men on the spot.
Confirming the incident, the deceased’s eldest son, Idris Muhammad, said his father and Isah were attacked shortly after leaving the peace meeting.
“They killed my father, the Ardo, and his associate, Yakubu Isah, after around 2 p.m. while they were on their way back from the peace meeting called by the DPO in Ohimini. We have recovered their bodies and taken them to Oyangede for burial,” he said.
The killings have heightened tension in the area, raising fears of possible reprisals and renewed insecurity among residents.
Chairman of Otukpo Local Government Area, Maxwell Ogiri, confirmed the incident and described the security situation around the area as tense.
He appealed to residents to remain calm, assuring them that security agencies were on top of the situation.
“The area where the incident happened is tense right now, but I appeal for calm because the police are handling the situation,” he said.
Also confirming the attack, Chairman of Ohimini Local Government Area, Gabriel Adole, said the late MACBAN chairman had participated in a successful peace meeting before he was attacked while travelling through Otukpo.
Adole described the killings as unfortunate and said security agencies had been notified to investigate the circumstances surrounding the incident and ensure those responsible are brought to justice.
The Benue State Police Command also confirmed the attack through its spokesperson, DSP Udeme Edet, who said an investigation had commenced.
Edet assured the public that the command would pursue the perpetrators and urged residents to remain peaceful and cooperate with investigators.




