• Home
  • Contact Us
  • About us
  • Privacy Policy
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
New Citizen
  • Login
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us
No Result
View All Result
New Citizen
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Insecurity: Reps want I-G to provide Govt officials with security in South East

by FEMI OGUNSHOLA
July 27, 2023
in Politics
0
Reps invite Minister, NEMA over evacuation  of Nigerians in Sudan
0
SHARES
1
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsappShare on Telegram

The House of Representatives has urged the Inspector-General of Police (IGP) to provide adequate security for government officials and infrastructure in flash points in the South East and Nigeria.

The resolution was sequel to a motion of urgent public importance by Rep. Emeka Nnamani(LP-Abia) at the plenary in Abuja on Thursday.

READ ALSO

Tinubu: Adeleke’s victory assurance democracy will flourish in Nigeria

Bago reaffirms commitment to women’s inclusion in governance in Niger

in his motion, the lawmaker noted that the violent attack by hoodlums in South Eastern Nigeria had assumed a very dangerous trend.

He said attacks on highly placed Nigerians was escalating at an increased proportion, adding that if such trend was not quickly nipped in the bud, it could result to threat to governments, personnel and others at all levels.

He said government provided police protection around government officials, adding that security was usually inadequate especially at flash points of insecurity in Nigeria.

He added that there had been attacks on prominent Nigerians by unknown gunmen in the South East Nigeria the attack on Sen. Ifeanyi Uba, Sen. Rochas Okorocha, former Gov Ikedi Ohakim.

He noted that on July 25, the Abia State command of the Nigerian police confirmed that two of its personnel were attacked and killed while on the convoy of State Commissioner for Trade Commerce and Industry Dr. Chimezie Ukaegbu.

He said in addition to the loss of lives of the two policemen involved, the assailants also set ablaze a vehicle belonging to Abia State Ministry of Trade, commerce, and Industry.

He said as an aftermath of the cowardly killing of the two police men, terror was unleashed on the innocent people of Aba by security operatives such as the police and army in Aba metropolis resulting in the total shut down of the market.

He also called on the IGP and Chief of Army staff to urgently call their men to order, as the continued attack by their men on innocent residents and passers-by of Aba could degenerate into full blown riot and unnecessary breakdown of law and order.

Adopting the motion, the House urged the IGP and CoAS to call their men to order and adopt better Police, Army civil relationship with their host communities.

The House also urged the police to set up a high-powered investigative team to bring those hoodlums to book.

The House said that the security apparatus of government must be deployed to return peace and security of lives and property of the residents of Aba.(NAN)

 

 

Previous Post

NiDCOM celebrates Diaspora excellence with awards

Next Post

Gov. Bago sends list of 30 commissioner-nominees to Assembly

Related Posts

Tinubu: Adeleke’s victory assurance democracy will flourish in Nigeria
Politics

Tinubu: Adeleke’s victory assurance democracy will flourish in Nigeria

August 16, 2026
Bago reaffirms commitment to women’s inclusion in governance in Niger
Politics

Bago reaffirms commitment to women’s inclusion in governance in Niger

July 26, 2026
Pro-Tinubu group unveils data-driven strategy for 2027 campaign
Politics

Pro-Tinubu group unveils data-driven strategy for 2027 campaign

July 25, 2026
Atiku gave Na’Abba N5m to impeach me, says Obasanjo; ex-VP fires back over ‘third term’ grudge
Politics

Atiku gave Na’Abba N5m to impeach me, says Obasanjo; ex-VP fires back over ‘third term’ grudge

July 24, 2026
Next Post
Gov. Bago sends list of 30 commissioner-nominees to Assembly

Gov. Bago sends list of 30 commissioner-nominees to Assembly

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • Bago unveils N100m hospital equipment to boost healthcare delivery in Niger
  • United Nigeria Airlines pledges N20m to fund Chinua Achebe Prize for Fiction for 10 years
  • EFCC investigates suspect as Customs intercepts $73,000, £15,957, 827,800 Saudi Riyals at Kano Airport
  • SON, DSS strengthen collaboration to tackle substandard products in Kaduna
  • Bago celebrates IBB at 85, hails his contributions to Nigeria

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Recent Posts

  • Bago unveils N100m hospital equipment to boost healthcare delivery in Niger
  • United Nigeria Airlines pledges N20m to fund Chinua Achebe Prize for Fiction for 10 years
  • EFCC investigates suspect as Customs intercepts $73,000, £15,957, 827,800 Saudi Riyals at Kano Airport
  • SON, DSS strengthen collaboration to tackle substandard products in Kaduna

Quick Links

  • Home
  • Contact Us
  • About us
  • Privacy Policy
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
error: Content is protected !!