• Home
  • Contact Us
  • About us
  • Privacy Policy
Saturday, August 22, 2026
New Citizen
  • Login
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us
No Result
View All Result
New Citizen
No Result
View All Result
Home Nation Health

Summer festivals, parties could further spread monkeypox, WHO warns

by NAN
June 1, 2022
in Health
0
Monkeypox was first detected in the Democratic Republic of the Congo in 1970 (Photo: Reuters)
Monkeypox was first detected in the Democratic Republic of the Congo in 1970 (Photo: Reuters)

Monkeypox was first detected in the Democratic Republic of the Congo in 1970 (Photo: Reuters)

0
SHARES
1
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsappShare on Telegram

By A Correspondent

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has warned of a possible further spread of monkeypox at festivals and big events planned for this summer in Europe.

READ ALSO

Bago unveils N100m hospital equipment to boost healthcare delivery in Niger

FG says no confirmed Ebola case in Nigeria, urges calm

Hans Henri Kluge, WHO Regional Director for Europe, said in a statement that potential for further transmission in Europe and elsewhere over the summer is high.

Kluge, however, said festivals and celebrations planned for the coming months will also offer an opportunity to raise awareness and strengthen individual and community protection among the young, the sexually active and the globally mobile.

He said investigations into the cases so far suggest that the outbreak in Europe started from mid-April.

He added that it is the largest and most geographically widespread ever reported outside West and Central Africa areas where monkeypox is endemic.

According to him, rapid monkeypox transmission was assisted by the lifting of COVID-19 restrictions in most of Europe in recent months.

“Although many cases so far have been linked to sexual activity, the virus could affect anyone.

“As the virus didn’t spread through the same pathways as COVID-19, there is no need for the sweeping public health measures imposed in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

“But this is important, we do not yet know if we will be able to contain its spread completely,” he added. (dpa/NAN)

Tags: Covid-19Democratic Republic of the CongoEuropefestivalsgay communityHans Henri Klugehealthinfectionmonkeypoxpartiessexual activityvirusWHOwild animalsWorld Health Organisation
Previous Post

Nigeria’s crude oil production increases by 70,000bpd – Reuters Survey

Next Post

I made Buhari president – Tinubu

Related Posts

Bago unveils N100m hospital equipment to boost healthcare delivery in Niger
Health

Bago unveils N100m hospital equipment to boost healthcare delivery in Niger

August 19, 2026
FG says no confirmed Ebola case in Nigeria, urges calm
Health

FG says no confirmed Ebola case in Nigeria, urges calm

July 9, 2026
Tinubu establishes National Health Technology Office, appoints Obi Adigwe as pioneer coordinator
Health

Tinubu establishes National Health Technology Office, appoints Obi Adigwe as pioneer coordinator

June 26, 2026
FG inaugurates presidential task force on Ebola preparedness, targets zero Ebola cases
Health

FG inaugurates presidential task force on Ebola preparedness, targets zero Ebola cases

June 18, 2026
Next Post
File photo shows President Buhari (l) with Tinubu

I made Buhari president – Tinubu

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • APC constitutes Presidential Campaign Council, names Yari DG, Uzodimma secretary
  • Fresh fake agency scandal: Tinubu orders arrest of Nwabueze, suspends three perm secs
  • Awele Ilusanmi Short Story Competition opens September 1
  • TETFund investment will unlock North Central’s economic potential — Idris
  • Bago unveils N100m hospital equipment to boost healthcare delivery in Niger

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Recent Posts

  • APC constitutes Presidential Campaign Council, names Yari DG, Uzodimma secretary
  • Fresh fake agency scandal: Tinubu orders arrest of Nwabueze, suspends three perm secs
  • Awele Ilusanmi Short Story Competition opens September 1
  • TETFund investment will unlock North Central’s economic potential — Idris

Quick Links

  • Home
  • Contact Us
  • About us
  • Privacy Policy
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
error: Content is protected !!