• Home
  • Contact Us
  • About us
  • Privacy Policy
Friday, August 21, 2026
New Citizen
  • Login
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us
No Result
View All Result
New Citizen
No Result
View All Result
Home Nation

Ex-Power Minister, Mamman, collapses outside courtroom, delays arraignment

by New Citizen
July 11, 2024
in Nation
0
Ex-Power Minister, Mamman, collapses outside courtroom, delays arraignment
0
SHARES
2
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsappShare on Telegram

The arraignment of Mr. Saleh Mamman, the former Minister of Power under ex-President Muhammadu Buhari, was postponed on Thursday at a Federal High Court in Abuja due to his poor health.

According to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), Mamman, who was scheduled to enter a plea on Thursday morning, collapsed outside the courtroom before the case was called.

READ ALSO

Bago unveils N100m hospital equipment to boost healthcare delivery in Niger

EFCC investigates suspect as Customs intercepts $73,000, £15,957, 827,800 Saudi Riyals at Kano Airport

Femi Ate, SAN, Mamman’s lawyer, informed Justice James Omotosho of the incident when the case was called for Mamman’s plea.

When the hearing resumed, Mamman entered the courtroom and stood in the dock with part of his clothing wet.

Justice Omotosho inquired why Mamman was sweating and if it was raining outside.

From the dock, Mamman explained that water had been poured on him.

Adeyinka Olumide-Fusika, SAN, representing the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), told the court that despite the arraignment being scheduled, there had been a development outside the courtroom.

Olumide-Fusika mentioned discussing Mamman’s health with Ate outside the courtroom.

“I was informed of an incident outside. I will want my learner senior advocate to tell the honourable court himself,” he stated.

Ate explained that Mamman had collapsed upon arrival at the court premises and required resuscitation and medical treatment from the Federal High Court’s medical personnel.

He added that Mamman was served with the charge after being resuscitated.

“He was served this morning,” Ate noted.

Ate requested an adjournment until Monday, hoping his client would be well enough for the arraignment then.

However, the judge, citing the court’s busy schedule, indicated that the arraignment could only be rescheduled for late September.

Ate then withdrew his oral request for an adjournment.

Olumide-Fusika mentioned having filed an amended charge earlier in the morning due to a mistake in the defendant’s name and requested the fresh charge be read to Mamman. Justice Omotosho disagreed with this.

The judge asked Mamman if he was fit to enter a plea, to which he affirmed he was.

Mamman explained to the court that he collapsed because he had taken medication without eating, causing his blood pressure to drop while waiting outside the courtroom.

Despite the incident, Mamman stated he was fit to proceed with the arraignment.

“It can happen to anyone,” the judge remarked.

Mamman also informed the court of an error in the name on the charge served by the EFCC.

“I was complaining about the name, that it was not my own,” he said.

Justice Omotosho then postponed the arraignment until 1pm today.

NAN reports that the EFCC filed a 12-count money laundering charge against Mamman, alleging he laundered N33 billion.

Mamman served under President Buhari from 2019 to 2021. On May 10, 2021, he was arrested and detained at the anti-graft agency’s headquarters in Abuja.

In a cabinet reshuffle on September 1, 2021, Buhari dismissed Mamman and the then Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Sabo Nanono.

Mamman is accused of conspiring with ministry staff overseeing the accounts of the Zungeru and Mambilla Hydro Electric Power projects to divert about N22 billion.

Investigations reportedly uncovered properties linked to the suspects in Nigeria and abroad, with millions of naira and dollars recovered. (NAN)

Tags: anti-corruptionSaleh Mamman
Previous Post

NDLEA calls for collaborative action against drug abuse in universities

Next Post

Adoption of CNG initiative will lower food prices – FCCPC

Related Posts

Bago unveils N100m hospital equipment to boost healthcare delivery in Niger
Health

Bago unveils N100m hospital equipment to boost healthcare delivery in Niger

August 19, 2026
EFCC investigates suspect as Customs intercepts $73,000, £15,957, 827,800 Saudi Riyals at Kano Airport
Nation

EFCC investigates suspect as Customs intercepts $73,000, £15,957, 827,800 Saudi Riyals at Kano Airport

August 17, 2026
Bago celebrates IBB at 85, hails his contributions to Nigeria
Nation

Bago celebrates IBB at 85, hails his contributions to Nigeria

August 17, 2026
Nation

Information Minister mourns Garkuwan Kontagora, Ibrahim Wali

August 16, 2026
Next Post
Adoption of CNG initiative will lower food prices – FCCPC

Adoption of CNG initiative will lower food prices – FCCPC

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • Bago unveils N100m hospital equipment to boost healthcare delivery in Niger
  • United Nigeria Airlines pledges N20m to fund Chinua Achebe Prize for Fiction for 10 years
  • EFCC investigates suspect as Customs intercepts $73,000, £15,957, 827,800 Saudi Riyals at Kano Airport
  • SON, DSS strengthen collaboration to tackle substandard products in Kaduna
  • Bago celebrates IBB at 85, hails his contributions to Nigeria

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Recent Posts

  • Bago unveils N100m hospital equipment to boost healthcare delivery in Niger
  • United Nigeria Airlines pledges N20m to fund Chinua Achebe Prize for Fiction for 10 years
  • EFCC investigates suspect as Customs intercepts $73,000, £15,957, 827,800 Saudi Riyals at Kano Airport
  • SON, DSS strengthen collaboration to tackle substandard products in Kaduna

Quick Links

  • Home
  • Contact Us
  • About us
  • Privacy Policy
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
error: Content is protected !!