• Home
  • Contact Us
  • About us
  • Privacy Policy
Friday, August 21, 2026
New Citizen
  • Login
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us
No Result
View All Result
New Citizen
No Result
View All Result
Home Culture & Entertainment

I’ll continue to speak to rebuild Nigeria, says deposed Emir Sanusi

by DEJI ABDULWAHAB
August 7, 2022
in Culture & Entertainment
0
Emir Muhammadu Sanusi II speaking on the stage of the play, 'Emir Sanusi: Truth in Time', in Abuja on Saturday
Emir Muhammadu Sanusi II speaking on the stage of the play, 'Emir Sanusi: Truth in Time', in Abuja on Saturday

Emir Muhammadu Sanusi II speaking on the stage of the play, 'Emir Sanusi: Truth in Time', in Abuja on Saturday

0
SHARES
1
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsappShare on Telegram

The deposed Emir of Kano, Alhaji Muhammadu Sanusi II, has said that he will continue to speak and air his views to defend and rebuild Nigeria.

Sanusi, who is also the current Khalifah of the Tijjaniyya Movement of Nigeria, said this in Abuja on Saturday at a stage play titled ‘Emir Sanusi: Truth in Time.’’

READ ALSO

United Nigeria Airlines pledges N20m to fund Chinua Achebe Prize for Fiction for 10 years

ANA set to kick off 45th International Convention October 29 in Abuja

The play was written by Ahmed Yerima, a professor of Drama at the Redeemers University, and produced by Executive Chairman, Duke of Somolu Productions, Mr Joseph Edgar.

Sanusi, the 14th emir of Kano, said he has what it takes to contribute to nation-building because of his long history of service to the country.

He said he served as the Chief Risk Officer at the United Bank for Africa, and at First Bank, and also as CBN governor; as Emir of Kano for six years and Khalifah of the Tijjaniyya Movement of Nigeria.

Sanusi argued that he would be ungrateful to God if he expressed regret or sadness over his removal as emir in spite of the positions he occupied in life.

He said: “I don’t think that God has taken anything away from me. So, I have no regret.

“I turned 61 years last year and, in those years, I had the honour of having been the Chief Risk Officer at United Bank for Africa (UBA) and the Chief Risk Officer at First Bank.

“I was Governor of Central Bank, Emir of Kano and now Khalifah, Tijjaniyya Movement of Nigeria.

“If I have sadness, then I’m ungrateful. How many people have had the opportunity to be just one of those things?’’

Sanusi added that many traditional rulers held leadership positions such as army generals, governors, Nigeria Customs chief and others before their appointment as traditional rulers.

According to him, these traditional rulers gave their bits to serve this country.

He said: “We have a long history of service to this country. My father, as first Director- General of Nigeria Intelligence Agency, set up the agency in1960. The record is there to see.

“My parents, grandparents and great grandparents gave their lives to build this country.

“We will continue to devote energy to build this country. It doesn’t belong to anyone; it belongs to all of us.’’

The former emir stressed that if he had a choice between sacrificing his principles and holding on to position, he would give up the latter.

He said: “History is always the best judge. The things that I said would happen, that caused me so much trouble, have happened.

“For me, I have absolutely no regret and I will continue to speak and voice my views. I will continue to defend this country.’’

In his remarks, the playwright, Yerima, said what motivated him to write the play was when Lamido was appointed as emir, he prayed: “O Allah, let me die on the throne.’’

He said he wanted people to watch how destiny prevailed on Sanusi’s grandfather, Emir Muhammadu Sanusi, who spent 10 years before he was removed and Sanusi, the grandson, who spent six years before he was also removed.

He said: “Also, they lived and live in a society. So, we want viewers to see the society’s attitudes towards their service to humanity.’’

The producer of the play, Edgar, said it was the 14th edition produced by Duke of Somolu Productions.

He said: “With a budget in excess of N40 million, this production is truly historical.”

Edgar thanked the more than 35 sponsors of the play who took over 50 per cent of the budget for their support.

Sanusi was dethroned as Emir of Kano in March 2020 by Governor Abdullahi Ganduje, citing “total disrespect to lawful instructions from the Office of the Governor’’. (NAN)

Tags: Abdullahi Umar GandujedramaDuke of Somolu ProductionsEmir Muhammadu SanusiEmir Sanusi Truth in TimeJoseph EdgarKanoNigeria Intelligence Agency (NIA)playProf. Ahmed YerimaRedeemers UniversityTijjaniyya Movement
Previous Post

FG, Google collaborate to curb ‘subversive’ YouTube channels

Next Post

Emir Sanusi stage play, ‘A Truth in Time’, gets applause in Lagos

Related Posts

United Nigeria Airlines pledges N20m to fund Chinua Achebe Prize for Fiction for 10 years
Arts & Life

United Nigeria Airlines pledges N20m to fund Chinua Achebe Prize for Fiction for 10 years

August 17, 2026
Democracy Day: ANA urges Tinubu government to tackle hardship, insecurity
Arts & Life

ANA set to kick off 45th International Convention October 29 in Abuja

August 15, 2026
Tozali TV set to hold Henna Ball, People’s Awards 2026 to honour excellence, support survivors October 31
Culture & Entertainment

Tozali TV set to hold Henna Ball, People’s Awards 2026 to honour excellence, support survivors October 31

August 8, 2026
PAWA, Driving Park pick reps for Pan-African film screening project
Culture & Entertainment

PAWA, Driving Park pick reps for Pan-African film screening project

August 7, 2026
Next Post
'Emir Sanusi: Truth in Time' on stage in Lagos

Emir Sanusi stage play, 'A Truth in Time', gets applause in Lagos

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • TETFund investment will unlock North Central’s economic potential — Idris
  • Bago unveils N100m hospital equipment to boost healthcare delivery in Niger
  • United Nigeria Airlines pledges N20m to fund Chinua Achebe Prize for Fiction for 10 years
  • EFCC investigates suspect as Customs intercepts $73,000, £15,957, 827,800 Saudi Riyals at Kano Airport
  • SON, DSS strengthen collaboration to tackle substandard products in Kaduna

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Recent Posts

  • TETFund investment will unlock North Central’s economic potential — Idris
  • Bago unveils N100m hospital equipment to boost healthcare delivery in Niger
  • United Nigeria Airlines pledges N20m to fund Chinua Achebe Prize for Fiction for 10 years
  • EFCC investigates suspect as Customs intercepts $73,000, £15,957, 827,800 Saudi Riyals at Kano Airport

Quick Links

  • Home
  • Contact Us
  • About us
  • Privacy Policy
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
error: Content is protected !!