• Home
  • Contact Us
  • About us
  • Privacy Policy
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
New Citizen
  • Login
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us
No Result
View All Result
New Citizen
No Result
View All Result
Home Business & Economy

Nembe oil spill: Bayelsa govt faults Aiteo, regulators on sabotage claim

by A Correspondent
December 27, 2021
in Business & Economy
0
Oil spillage at the Funiwa oilfields in Bayelsa State
Oil spillage at the Funiwa oilfields in Bayelsa State

Oil spillage at the Funiwa oilfields in Bayelsa State

0
SHARES
1
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsappShare on Telegram

The Bayelsa Government Technical Committee on the Nov. 5 oil leak at Oil Mining Lease (OML) 29 in Nembe on Sunday faulted claims that the leak was caused by sabotage.

OML 29 oil block is operated by Aiteo Eastern Exploration and Production Company, an indigenous oil firm that acquired the asset for about $2.4 billion following the 2015 divestment by supermajor Shell.

READ ALSO

SON, DSS strengthen collaboration to tackle substandard products in Kaduna

The Money that Never Moved: How Nigeria’s Expenditure Controls Prevented the  PEAC/PFIPC Appropriation from Becoming Public Expenditure 

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that regulatory agencies investigating the incident had on Dec. 22 attributed the spill to sabotage while the Bayelsa committee claimed the spill was due to equipment failure.

The regulators are the National Oil Spills Detection and Response Agency (NOSDRA) and the Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC).

Mr Biriyai Dambo, Chairman, Technical Committee in  a statement dismissed the claim and faulted the procedures adopted in arriving at the conclusions.Dambo, who is also the Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice in Bayelsa, said that the divergent views held by the parties could not be resolved and so rendered the Joint Investigative Visit (JIV) inconclusive.

The JIV is a statutory probe that follows every reported leak incident to unravel the cause and volume of crude discharged into the environment.

The JIV is usually convened by the operator of the leak facility and it comprises representatives of the oil firm, affected communities, regulators and the state Ministry of Environment.

Dambo noted that the components and accessories of the wellhead that were to be inspected had been removed and replaced, which amounted to tampering with and concealing the equipment and evidence.

According to the statement, there have been similar incidents of oil spillage, although of lesser magnitude, from the same Santa Barbara Wellhead 1 in OML 29 in 2018 and 2019, which Aiteo had previously admitted.

The committee expressed regrets that till date there has been no remediation nor safeguards against future recurrence put in place or enforced by Aiteo and NOSDRA respectively over the said spills.

According to the statement, requests for remediation of the earlier spills by the affected communities were rebuffed, until this major blowout happened in November.

“We were shocked to note that on the day of this latest JIV, when asked about these previous incidents at the exact same wellhead, AITEO denied and NOSDRA kept silent.

“During the course of the JIV, the behaviour and utterances of representatives of NOSDRA and NUPRC called into question their independence and neutrality.

“We are convinced that NOSDRA and NUPRC are biased and are playing a script in cahoot with AITEO.

“We have very convincing evidence which we will bring to light at the appropriate time and through the appropriate fora that NOSDRA and NUPRC are completely biased.

“They have taken a premeditated position in favour of Aiteo against the interest of the people of Bayelsa State and the Niger Delta.

“This is terribly sad and unfortunate given the fact that NOSDRA and NUPRC are supposed to be regulators and as such should be unbiased and act at all times with integrity.

“Finally, the Government of Bayelsa State completely rejects the JIV of Wednesday, December 22, 2021,” the statement read in part.

Dambo maintained that the position of Bayelsa government is that the cause of the spill was equipment failure and that it would take all appropriate steps to pursue environmental justice for itself and the affected communities.

He explained that such redress would put an end to the perennial pollution of the environment through reckless and irresponsible oilfield practice that is condoned by a weak or compromised regulatory system. (NAN)

Previous Post

Drinking to victory

Next Post

Nigerian-Arabian Gulf Chamber of Commerce signs MoU with Polish counterpart

Related Posts

SON, DSS strengthen collaboration to tackle substandard products in Kaduna
Business & Economy

SON, DSS strengthen collaboration to tackle substandard products in Kaduna

August 17, 2026
The Money that Never Moved: How Nigeria’s Expenditure Controls Prevented the  PEAC/PFIPC Appropriation from Becoming Public Expenditure 
Business & Economy

The Money that Never Moved: How Nigeria’s Expenditure Controls Prevented the  PEAC/PFIPC Appropriation from Becoming Public Expenditure 

July 25, 2026
CBN reaffirms commitment to price stability, says economy remains on growth path
Business & Economy

CBN reaffirms commitment to price stability, says economy remains on growth path

July 21, 2026
RMAFC urges efficient resource allocation to drive sustainable economic growth
Business & Economy

RMAFC urges efficient resource allocation to drive sustainable economic growth

July 20, 2026
Next Post
File photo shows Nigeria’s Ambassador to the United Arab Emirates, Amb. Mohammed Rimi; Minister of State, Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment, Hajia Maryam Yalwaji Katagum, and the Minister in the Ministry, Otunba Adeniyi Adebayo, at a meeting with the delegation of Nigeria Arabian-Gulf Chambers of Commerce in Abuja on Tuesday 12th August, 2021

Nigerian-Arabian Gulf Chamber of Commerce signs MoU with Polish counterpart

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • United Nigeria Airlines pledges N20m to fund Chinua Achebe Prize for Fiction for 10 years
  • EFCC investigates suspect as Customs intercepts $73,000, £15,957, 827,800 Saudi Riyals at Kano Airport
  • SON, DSS strengthen collaboration to tackle substandard products in Kaduna
  • Bago celebrates IBB at 85, hails his contributions to Nigeria
  • Information Minister mourns Garkuwan Kontagora, Ibrahim Wali

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Recent Posts

  • United Nigeria Airlines pledges N20m to fund Chinua Achebe Prize for Fiction for 10 years
  • EFCC investigates suspect as Customs intercepts $73,000, £15,957, 827,800 Saudi Riyals at Kano Airport
  • SON, DSS strengthen collaboration to tackle substandard products in Kaduna
  • Bago celebrates IBB at 85, hails his contributions to Nigeria

Quick Links

  • Home
  • Contact Us
  • About us
  • Privacy Policy
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Nation
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Health
  • Education
  • Sport
  • Arts & Life
  • Culture & Entertainment
  • World
  • Perspectives
  • About us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
error: Content is protected !!